2. The reason why wine racks store wine bottles horizontally- because the wine hits the cork making an air tight seal and because it keeps the cork moist.
3. When resealing a wine bottle, you are supposed to put the cork in the same way it came out.
4. when you use a cork screw, you are quite literally screwing the cork. Items like a cork puller
will actually preserve the cork after you open the wine so no cork bits get into your wine and it makes putting the cork back in the right way i.e. #3 a lot easier.
5. Grape trees have roots about 20 feet into the ground! The older the tree the 'better' the grapes flavors are but the older tree will produce less grapes than a younger tree.
6. American oak barrels are about $400 each and produce wines that have a strong oak taste, french-made barrels cost about $1400 each and have a more subtle oak flavor to their wines.
7. Wine typically lasts 2-3 days after it has been opened.
8. Wine was invented to help digest food.